Further evolving its mission to foster the nexus of creative industries, innovation and business, SXSW introduced SXsports in 2014 as a new Convergence track of the annual event. The three-day sports-focused programming is open to all Interactive and Film registrants, and features panel sessions, film screenings and more.
Championing a broader perspective on the world of sports through a uniquely SXSW lens, SXsports explores cultural impact and the human experience, tackles the future of sport, and embraces entertainment and innovation. Rooted in one of the most influential cultural events in the world, SXsports offers the sports industry singular access to creative leaders, early adopters and die-hard fans from the forward-thinking convergence areas of their respective worlds.
Most conference programming for SXsports will occur at the Driskill Hotel in downtown Austin (although some Featured Sessions will occur at the Austin Convention Center). Film Screenings will take place at various official SXSW Film venues.
Who Can Attend:
You must have a 2015 SXSW Interactive, Film, Gold or Platinum badge to attend SXsports 2015 conference programming & film screenings. Registration for 2015 begins in August 2014 at sxsw.com/attend.
How to Submit a SXsports Session or Speaker Proposal:
Enter your idea in the SXSW PanelPicker, which is our online interface for collecting (and cataloguing) the best speaking concepts from the community. Entry period for the 2015 SXSW PanelPicker is July 2014 — stay tuned to this space for exact details.
How to Submit a Sports-Related Film:
Film submissions for the 2015 event will open in August 2014. Submissions are only accepted online via the official SXSW website and in the following categories: Narrative Feature, Documentary Feature, Narrative Short, Documentary Short, Animated Short, Music Video and Title Sequence. Films selected will be screened as a part of the official SXSW Film Festival program, and will be announced in January 2015, along with the complete film lineup. Complete rules and regulations can be found in the Submissions FAQ.
2014 SXsports Programming included:
- Opening Featured Speaker Peter Guber: "Hunting for Elephants: Creating Enterprise Value in Sports Media"
- Featured Session with Jurgen Klinsmann & Roger Bennett: Knocking Down the Door: The U.S. National Team and America's World Cup Dreams
- Featured Session with Bill Simmons & Nate Silver: Media & the Personal Brand: Grantland & 538
- 24-Hour Sports in the Age of Bite-Sized Content
- Allyship: Becoming a Champion for Inclusion
- Arena vs. Couch: The Battle of Game Day Experience
- Baller Status: Sports Brands’ Impact on Culture
- Brands Can Champion the Power of Sport
- Connected TVs and the Future of Sports Entertainment
- Crushing Second Screen: The Ultimate TV Companion
- Disrupting the Hockey World
- Drones in Sports: The Sky’s the Limit
- Freediving - The Tanya Streeter Experience
- The Future of Sports Can Be Found in the Data
- Heads Up: Concussions in Sports
- How Future Star Athletes Are Being Discovered
- Innovation in Big-Time College Football
- Investigative Reporting in the Digital Age
- NASCAR, NBA, MLS: Storytelling to Build Affinity
- Notre Dame and Spotify: Our Playlist, Our Story
- NHL Revealed: A Season Like No Other
- Paid to Play: The Future of College Athletics
- The Printed Athlete: Sports Embraces 3D Printing
- Reel Score: Storytelling Through Sports
- Social on the Field: Sports Stars & Social Goals
- Sports Betting in the Mainstream Media
- Sports Don’t Look the Same Anymore
- Sports Matter: The Need to Support Youth Sports
- Sports Media Meet Up presented by SportsData
- Stop Pricing Tickets Like Its 1999
- Talking the Talk: Sports Lingo in Pop Culture
- What's New in Fantasy Sports
- Where are the Fans? What Happened to Traditions?
- SXsports Kick-Off Reception presented by Octagon
- DICK’S Sporting Goods Foundation “Sports Matter” Launch Party
- SXsports Overtime Party presented by FOX Sports
- SXsports Slam Dunk Showcase
- MVPindex SXsports Lounge
- NFL Players Association Lounge at SXsports
To get more information about SXsports 2015, contact us.