It's nearly game-time here at SXSW, and we are psyched to share some major additions to the 2015 SXsports program. Heavyweights like Turner Sports analyst Charles Barkley, UFC’s Dana White and Ronda Rousey, Baylor’s Head Football Coach Art Briles, Olympic and X-Games Gold Medalist Shaun White, and NFL Network Anchor and Pro Football Hall of Famer Deion Sanders to name a few, plus so many more! Get ready - over three days (March 13-15), SXsports offers SXSW Interactive and Film attendees a plethora of sports-focused panels, film screenings and events.
New for 2015: each day begins with a Problem Solvers session designed to help reach actionable solutions to evolving challenges in the sports landscape. The format is interactive and addresses a specific hot topic, as speakers facilitate small group discussions with the audience to identify potential formulas for success.
BONUS! Sports-related film screenings are a big part of SXsports. The first of these for 2015 is Grantland Features’ Son of the Congo, following NBA star Serge Ibaka’s return to his homeland. More SXsports films to come on February 3, along with the complete SXSW Film lineup.
Check out out the latest below, peruse the complete schedule, then get in on the action - register by 11:59pm CST on Friday, January 16 and save off the walk-up rate. And do not forget the best part of all - as a Convergence track at SXSW, SXsports programming is open to all Interactive, Film, Gold and Platinum badges, so you will get a killer learning and networking opportunity completely unique to SXSW. See you in March!
Sessions Added to SXsports:
- Featured Session // How to Remain Relevant in Today’s Digital Age
Charles Barkley (Turner Sports), additional Panelists TBA
- Featured Session // UFC: Women Breaking Ground Inside the Octagon
Ronda Rousey (UFC), Dana White (UFC)
- The 12-Month Sports Season
Melissa Rosenthal Brenner (NBA), Sam Laird (Mashable), Greg Luckman (CAA Sports), Rudolf Vidal (FC Bayern Munich)
- Acing the Sports Game with the Oculus Rift
Jordi Bruin (Triple IT), Ruben Jongkind (AFC Ajax), Robert Overweg (Triple IT)
- The Athlete Slash Entrepreneur
Israel Idonije (Athlitacomics), Mike Kafka (Roo Outdoor), Linda Lacina (Entrepreneur Magazine)
- Athletes and Musicians Direct-to-Consumer Media
Steve Aoki (Steve Aoki), Oliver Luckett (TheAudience), Brodie Smith (Professional Athlete), Shaun White (Professional Athlete)
- The Basketball Tournament: A New Model for Sports?
Luke Bonner (GYK Antler), Gabe Feldman (Tulane University), Dan Friel (The Basketball Tournament)
- Bike Attraction: Urban Bicycling Gets a Makeover
Rebecca Gates (Musician/Cyclist), Susan Peithman-Criss (Transportation Research and Education Consortium), Tom Smuts (Mad Men), Kansas Waugh, (Bay Area Bike Share)
- Can MLB Data Solver Arm Injuries in Youth Pitchers?
Chris Marinak (Major League Baseball), Rick Riccobono (USA Baseball), Ted Sullivan (GameChangers)
- Can Sports Help End a Culture of Violence?
Ben Casselman (FiveThirtyEight), Jane Randel (NO MORE), additional Panelists TBA
- The Changing Face of Action Sports Media
Angel Collinson (Angel Collinson), Tana Hoffman (Teton Gravity Research), Todd Jones (Teton Gravity Research), Keith Sharman (CBS News)
- Coaching Fast and Fearlessly
Art Briles (Baylor University), Kevin Kelley (Pulaski Academy), George Schroeder (USA TODAY Sports)
- El Nuevo Latino: Fusing Cultures and Values
Aldo Kafie (Octagon Access), Galina Espinoza (Major League Soccer Digital), Gonzalo Perez (Motivo Insights), Marime Riancho (Pernod-Ricard)
- Grantland Sports Podcast Live
- Play Good, Look Good: Athletes and Fashion
Rembert Browne (Grantland), Mark Anthony Green (GQ Magazine), additional Panelists TBA
- Problem Solvers // Compensating College Athletes for Their Likeness
- Problem Solvers // Crowdfunding Competitive Athletes
Emily White (Dreamfuel)
- Punch Drunk: Hockey Fighting at a Crossroads
Greg Wyshynski (Yahoo Sports), additional Panelists TBA
- Science Over Tradition: The New Edge in Sports
Scott Goldman (Athletic Intelligence Measures), Gary McCoy (Catapult Sports), Lindsay Thornton (United State Olympic Committee), Leonard Zaichowsky (BIOCAM)
- Skateboarders and Marketers: The Dynamic Duo
Danny Way (Professional Skateboarder), additional Panelists TBA
- Sport For Development: Affective Societal Change
Joey Cheek (Former Olympic Athlete), Matt Geshcke (Laureus Sport for Good), Dave Mingey (GlideSlope), Paul Teeple (Partners of the Americas)
- Start the Presses: The Rise of Indie Sports Mags
Christopher Isenberg (Victory Journal)
Charles Barkley, courtesy Turner Sports
Ronda Rousey, courtesy UFC
Deion Sanders, courtesy NFL Network