Welcome, welcome to the seventh year of The LP Questionnaire, that grand dame of random surveys where your favorite musicians and comedians answer some silly questions and tell you what bands they're excited to see at this year's festival.
We're quite chuffed to be back and kicking things off with electronic music pioneer, Gary Numan. By all accounts Mr. Numan just did a barn burner of a show in Tel Aviv recently so we're in for a real treat when he brings his excellent sounds to our shores next month.
Did you know that Gary was an aerobatic display pilot for many years, flying World War 2 airplanes? He's even flown around the world in a light aircraft. He has also been in a plane crash.
He was once arrested in India on suspicion of smuggling and spying, yet somehow managed to meet Mother Theresa in Calcutta.
Married for 17 years, Numan and his wife Gemma have three children, about which he says, "It's a vaguely similar feeling to being in a plane crash most of the time."
He's been stabbed (in 1975 in London), is English but lives in LA, and has an English Mastiff named Wilburforce.
That might be the most colorful life yet described in these parts. I bet you're super excited now for his...
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Gary Numan
Do you have any nicknames? Biffo. One of many my wife has come up with over the years. Another being the rather long winded Hiffa Biffa Dilla Dopagos (I may not have spelt that quite right).
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. If I’m 15 then it’s 1973. I would therefore have "Telegram Sam" by T-Rex (fronted by Marc Bolan, the man that inspired me more than any other to start a band and make a life in music), "The Jean Genie" by David Bowie and "Come On Feel The Noise" by Slade. I hope those three songs were actually out in 1973. My memory is shit.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? As a foreigner I feel somewhat ill equipped to answer this. Presumably it needs to be an American evil villain, so I would have to go for something obvious, like Cartman. Technically not evil I guess but a little shit just the same. Can I have a cartoon character? It seems appropriate on some level.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Tom and Jerry, I think. Although I also remember loving something called Atom Ant.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? To be able to fly. Flying aeroplanes (sorry, airplanes) is an amazing thing but I doubt it comes close to the feeling of doing it without being strapped into a machine. I did wing walk once on top of an old biplane, that was pretty amazing but not exactly Superman.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? I have written one, it's called Praying To The Aliens. In fact I’m just about to write volume two.
Machinedrum: I like the name of the band. Sometimes that’s enough to get you interested.
Mumiy Troll: Heard a lot about Mumiy Troll, wanted to see them for quite some time. I’m expecting something special.
Roman Remains: I’m going to be touring with Roman Remains, and I love the music I’ve heard from them. It will be good to see them live.
Thanks very kindly for joining us today. You can keep up with the LPQ thrills and chills here. An archive dating back to 2008 is being built and everything!
Back real soon with LPQs from OBN III's, Peelander-Z, MC Lars, Matt Besser, Dum Dum Girls and more so stay tuned and stuff.
I hope your friends are electric, lp