Not too long ago Music Festival GM and hero of the Korean people, James Minor, sent me an article about the band Nothing, and I've been rather pleased to be listening to them ever since. The songs have that kind of heavy thrumming shoegazey goodness whose wash of guitars go straight to my heart.
The band was formed in 2011 by Horror Show's Domenic Palermo, a man with a past who did a two year prison sentence in the early aughts for a stabbing incident. After his release and a lengthy hiatus Palermo released a demo under the moniker Nothing and eventually formed the band whose lush sounds got them signed to Relapse Records. Their debut album, Guilty of Everything, comes out on Tuesday, March 4.
Turn them on... you won't turn them off. And have a look-see at Palermo's LPQ while you're at it.
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Dominic Palermo
Do you have any nicknames? My dad called me a loser a lot.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
It's 1996 and it would have probably included:
The Casualties- Punk Rock Love
The Descendents- Marriage
Jets To Brazil- Sea Anemone
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Marvin The Martian
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Wile E Coyote
4. What superpower do you wish you had? Invisibility
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? The Trouble With Being Born
It's Sunday and it's grey but you've chosen to spend part of your day here with us over at sxsw.com so I thank you for that. There's loads more LPQs out there in the world for you to enjoy, if you're so inclined.
And when I fell, I fell hard, lp
Photo by Shawn Brackbill