Ben Grey is from the San Fernando Valley, but created Dear Boy while living in the UK with the rest of the band.
Their debut EP was written in a haunted one bedroom flat in Vauxhall, London & was recorded in a ghost free studio in Los Angeles, CA. It was tracked by Chad Bamford (Spiritualized), mixed by Michael Patterson (Trent Reznor, BRMC) & mastered by Mike Marsh (Pulp, Phoenix, Savages).
Ben specializes in Creole cooking, hates onstage drum circles, was active pen pals with Gene Wilder from age 10 to 16 and is a late bloomer.
Don't miss Dear Boy Wednesday night at 8pm at Bar 96 when they open up the BMI Showcase. And for now you needn't miss Ben's super bitchin'...
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Ben Grey
Do you have any nicknames? Currently and un-excitingly, “BG” is thrown around a lot… But on the soccer field in High School, I was known as “Crazy Legs.”
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
It’s 2002… I’m in love with every girl ever.
Track 1 - OZMA - “Natalie Portman”
I was obsessed with Natalie Portman, so this had to make it onto all of my mixes in the hopes that maybe it would summon her. What a strange concept… Attempting to communicate with the girl you’re in love with through somebody else’s song about the same girl and then giving it to another girl in the hopes that maybe the girl you’re actually in love with will somehow find out about it. I was so lost.
Track 2 - A Perfect Circle - “The Nurse Who Loved Me”
Failure rules, but if we’re being honest with each other, I fell in love with this version first. Lost my mind when I heard it. My friends and I used to talk about how we thought it would be a great song to “make out to…” Turns out, not so much.
Track 3 - Derek and the Dominos - “Layla (Piano Exit)”
A friend of mine had been searching for ONLY the piano exit on file-sharing programs since that whole thing started… It was his white whale. When the day finally came that Limewire brought L(PE) into our lives, there wasn’t a mix that came out of my burner without it.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Captain Hook… He kept the vibe light-hearted while still running a “tight ship.” Also, Smee is kind of a Joe Biden.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? It just doesn’t get any better than Batman : The Animated Series… And as our bassist Nils recently pointed out, everything on the show was painted with light colors on top of black paper. Dark deco. Heavy.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? The ability to give myself crucial back massages.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Kiss Me When I’m Famous.
Merchandise: I love their music, how they make their music and how they release their music…Carson Cox is one of my favorite modern singers. Can’t wait to see them again.
Dum Dum Girls: I’m super late to the party on DDG. I stumbled upon their incredible “End of Daze” EP last year & now I’m really spending some time with “Too True.” I’m just ashamed that I’ve lived this long without loving Dee Dee & Co. the hardest.
Gary Numan: "And just for a second I thought I remembered you.”
This is it, you guys. The very last LP questionnaire of 2014. We hope you've had many many fun times reading these. Have a look back at the archive (and we mean way back, like to 2008), right here.
I'm watching Dirty Dancing, lp