When I queried my metal pals about who to check out at this year's fest one name showed up on everyone's list. And that name was Goatwhore.
Hailing from New Orleans, the band's legacy, spawned from the ashes of Acid Bath, Crowbar, and Soilent Green, is rich, and the music dark and gritty. With song titles like "Reckoning of the Soul Made Godless" and albums called Funeral Dirge for the Rotting Sun it seems pretty clear these guys are no pretty boy pop-metal act (though a couple of them, I have to admit, appear to be purty cute).
Singer Louis B. Falgoust grew up listening to Metal, Punk, Hardcore and Rock. He told us, "I do enjoy other styles of music, but to get my day moving I have to resort to the previously named categories. I have a day job when not doing tours and recording duties with the band. It is true, the music industry has a horrible minimum wage. I have recently involved myself with the hobby of diving that is amazing, but due to the horrible minimum wage of said music industry it is a slow moving hobby."
Falgoust was kind enough to provide us with an LPQ and Pick Three, presented now for your enjoyment...
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Louis B. Falgoust II
Do you have any nicknames? Ben - My middle name is Benjamin and in today's world the use of abbreviating things is popular. Boss - I have a small tendency to run things in the band as far as the business end goes. People who work with me use this term to be fun or just condescending...or both. Zoo Keeper - Same as above, but appointed the title because of keeping order when everyone drinks over the limit with an end result of said drunken individuals acting like primates.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. The result of noting someone's age is useless except for learning experience (I would hope the older the person, the more they have learned, but that does't always equal out). Let's just say I have a lot of learning experience…in life. Check out the songs below and do the math. Sort of tricky like trigonometry.
1. Exodus - Pleasures Of The Flesh
2. Judas Priest - Rock Hard, Ride Free
3. Motorhead - Orgasmatron
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Darth Vader - I like his dictatorship/unforgiving agenda...until he finally meets his son.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Looney Tunes-As a child they were great and consumed hours of my time. Now that I am older, they mean so much more in so many different ways.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? To be flexible like Mister Fantastic from the Fantastic Four. The possibilities in sex would be phenomenal. They didn't call him "Mister Fantastic" for nothing.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Obstacles Of Life: The Chronicles Of A Want-To-Be Stunt Driver (only people that really know my background would understand)
Exhumed: Ok, these guys are good friend of ours, but damn they play that crazy Gore Metal with such finesse.
Peelander-Z: This group has played my hometown of New Orleans numerous times. A very energetic and fun band to witness, both visually and musically. If you have never seen them I would suggest checking it out.
Andrew W.K.: Purely for nostalgia's sake.
Thanks to you for stopping by. It hardly seems possible that SXSW IA starts Friday, and Music next Tuesday. If you've enjoyed these questions and answers, you can find more here
All the dark words pouring from my throat, lp