From the 2012 LPQ Archive
Good Monday to you good people.
I don't know if you've got the inside info on the SXSW Mentor sessions, but they are pretty gd cool. You can sign up for a slot with any number of a&r peeps, managers, business managers, musicians and other industry professionals and they will answer your questions and impart knowledge type stuff. Occasionally we even have a tarot card reader.
One of this year's mentors is J. Yuenger. Yuenger, the former guitarist of the highly influential multi-platinum selling 90s band White Zombie, is currently a record producer in New Orleans.
But what you might not know is that he has the best blog ever where he makes amazing mix tapes that you can download (seriously, I listened to Old Time Religion yesterday and it pretty much made my Sunday morning at l'office), posts enchanting stories like this one about his grandmother, and is a great treasure trove of images both found and shot.
He was nice enough to do my thing so here you go...
The LP Questionnaire
Name: J. Yuenger
Do you have any nicknames? No. Jay is my given name, and most people think it's a nickname for Jason or James or whatever - in fact, from time to time some shiny penny will, with a wink, as if he's on to my special secret, call me Jason. Nerd.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend. If I'm 15, it's 1982, and I'm obsessed with hardcore punk. I listen to other music, but I won't admit it. I am already very good at making mixtapes, but I sure don't know anything about courtship, so, probably "Data Control" by Hüsker Dü, "Reject" by the Necros, and "Realities Of War" by Discharge.
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Darkseid! I would vote for anyone invented by Jack Kirby.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? Early on, Speed Racer, but by second or third grade, definitely Spider-Man, the 1968 one. I would run home from school to catch it, and even now I get a little rush when I hear the theme song.
4. What superpower do you wish you had? The ability to stop time, always, since I can remember. I'm not interested in analyzing why this would be, but it probably goes way beyond the desire to steal stuff and see people in their underwear.
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Loosies
Honestly, I'm not trying to wriggle out of this one, but the overwhelming number of choices makes me crazy, and I will probably wing it and end up seeing whatever I end up seeing. Last year I put effort into catching exactly one band, which was Dark Castle at The Broken Neck - other than that, I bumped into friends and tagged along with them, and I ended up at great shows in living rooms and backyards that I never would have known about otherwise.
Thanks for joining our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress. Please do feel free to keep up with the magic answers at the archive.
You're furious, I'm glorious, lp