From the 2010 LPQ Archive
The first time I saw the lovely Nicole Atkins she was rehearsing "Islands in the Stream" with My Morning Jacket at Madison Square Garden on New Year's Eve 2008. I was blown away by her crystal clear tones and charming performance. Later that night, she and Jim enchanted us all with their best Kenny and Dolly.
Atkins brings her introspective songs and dynamic live show (it's been raved about all over the place on this here site for the last couple of years) to our crazy little fest. She'll perform songs from her upcoming record backed up by her favorite Austin band Future Clouds and Radar on Thursday night at La Zona Rosa at 7.30 pm. Eat an early dinner, you guys, so you don't be missing out.
Some little known facts about Nicole...
Her parents have given out hot dogs every Halloween since she was born. Her father, "Dutch," is a hot dog eating champion.
She snuck into the PGA Masters Tournament the year Tiger Woods first won because she was trying to impress a boy.
All the pets she's ever owned have had super country names such as Chester P Skidmore, Earl, Leon and Pervis.
At 13 she learned how to play Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love" on the harmonica... through her nose.
Her first appearance onstage was with Donny Osmond (wow). Unfortunately, seven year old metalhead Nicole was not happy about this.
I'm happy, though... happy that Atkins did...
The LP Questionnaire
Name: Nicole Atkins
Pro Wrestling Name: I prefer the masculine version of my wresting name, Bionic Legend. The female version sounds too "porny," Wild Jade. Eww. If it were up to me I'd be BLOODJOVI.
1. Pretend you’re 15. Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
1. "Hallah" Mazzy Star
2. "Summer Babe" Pavement
3. "Soma" Smashing Pumpkins
2. Which evil villain would make the best President? Magneto from the X Men. Maybe he could solve the evergy crisis.
3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? So many....Secret of NIMH, Really Rosie, Smurfs, the Last Unicorn... as I got a little older Bobby's World
4. What superpower do you wish you had? Mind Control of course!
5. What would the title of your autobiography be? I'm not sure what mine would be but my friend Shane of the Vancouver band the Awkward Stage and I were talking about Silence of the Lamb's Buffalo Bill. He said he'd name his autobio after Bill's line "I'd Fuck Me." I wish I'd thought of that so I'm just gonna share that.
High On Fire: I like my metal slooooow!
Roky Erickson with Okkervil River: I missed them last time I was at sxsw. I love both of these guys music so seeing them together I'm sure is going to be unreal!
Band of Horses: Yep, I missed the boat on these guys and have only recently discovered them. I have been listening to their last record on repeat for two weeks now.
Thanks for starting your week off the LPQ/P3 way! You can keep up with all them features here. I'll be back later with more from Matt Braunger and Mick Management twins Jonathan and Justin Eshak.
Ill equipped to act, lp