The SXSW Interactive Festival believes very strongly in the power and importance of diversity in all its forms. This is why we always strive to have more female speakers at the event, as well as more speakers from more geographical regions throughout the world. Diversity is also why we strive to showcase many different points of view at the event — some of which we may happen to agree with, some of which we may not agree with. In short, we believe that the more diverse inputs we have into the event, the more compelling the event becomes on many many different levels. More information makes for a stronger mind.
MVMT House sessions at the Hilton Garden Inn from Friday, March 7 through Sunday, March 9 are an important part of this effort to create more diversity at SXSW (see also the new Latinos in Tech programming). An extension of what was termed as “Blacks in Tech” programming at the 2013 SXSW Interactive Festival, these MVMT House sessions cover a range of issues central to African Americans who are working in the digital creative space. The Hilton Garden Inn is located at 500 N. IH-35, just two blocks east of the Austin Convention Center. Sessions occur on the 18th floor of this venue and are open to all SXSW Interactive, Gold and Platinum badgeholders.
Sessions that will occur at MVMT House 2014 include:
- Black Women in Tech: Uncovering Barriers to Entry (Sonia Alleyne, Black Enterprise; Stacey Ferguson, Blogalicious; Chanel Martin, madame you)
- The Creativity (R)Evolution (Denise Jacobs, A Creative Dose)
- Network Design Thinking & Black Male Engagement (Charlie Brown, Context Partners; Donna Frisby-Greenwood, John S and James L Knight Foundation; Shaka Senghor, author: Trabian Shorters, Black Male Engagement)
- Separate But Equal? 2.0 (Andre Briggs, Microsoft; Amy Schapiro, CODE2040; Jason Smikle, fNograph; Ryan Stoner, 100 Urban Entrepreneurs)
- Startup Star Power: Startups Backed by Celebrity (Tyrone Lewis, Strapd LLC; James Martin, Yopima LLC; Tonya Sims, BrightFlyy; Vernell Woods, Yopima LLC)
To see other programming for MVMT House 2014, check out the listings for the Colorado Room and the Red River Room via the SXSW day-by-day schedule