Further evolving its mission to foster the nexus of creative industries, innovation and business, SXSW introduced SXsports™ in 2014 as a new Convergence track of the annual event. The three-day, sports-focused programming is open to all Interactive and Film registrants, and features panel sessions, film screenings and more.
Championing a broader perspective on the world of sports unique to SXSW, SXsports explores cultural impact and the human experience, tackles the future of sport in all its forms, and embraces entertainment and innovation. Rooted in one of the most influential cultural events in the world, SXsports offers the sports industry singular access to creative leaders, early adopters and die-hard fans from the forward-thinking convergence areas of their respective worlds.
New for 2015:
Each day begins with a Problem Solvers session designed to help reach actionable solutions to evolving challenges in the sports landscape. The format unfolds as an interactive exercise to address a specific hot topic and speakers facilitate small group discussions with the audience to identify potential formulas for success.
Most conference programming for SXsports will occur at the Four Seasons Hotel in Austin (although some Featured Sessions will occur at the Austin Convention Center). Film Screenings will take place at various official SXSW Film venues.
Who Can Attend:
You must have a 2015 SXSW Interactive, Film, Gold or Platinum badge to attend SXsports 2015 conference programming, film screenings and events. Register now at sxsw.com/attend.
How to Submit a SXsports Session or Speaker Proposal:
The SXSW PanelPicker submission and voting process for SXsports 2015 is now closed. Thank you to everyone who participated and stay tuned this fall for 2015 programming announcements! If you have any questions about the PanelPicker process, be sure to check out the PanelPicker FAQ.
How to Submit a Sports-Related Film:
We are no longer accepting Film Submissions for SXsports 2015. Films selected will be screened as a part of the official SXSW Film Festival program, and will be announced in early 2015, along with the complete film lineup. Complete rules and regulations can be found in the Submissions FAQ.
Enter to Win SXsports Swag:
To celebrate the second year of SXsports, we asked four artists to envision their own vintage-inspired, boxing poster to serve as the Official 2015 SXsports Poster, sold during the event at official SXSW Merch locations. Vote for your favorite (now thru January 30 at 11:59pm CT), and you will automatically be entered to win SXsports swag, which includes a signed & numbered print!
** No purchase necessary to enter or win **
2015 SXsports Programming:
- Featured Session // How to Remain Relevant in Today’s Digital Age
Charles Barkley (Turner Sports), additional Panelists TBA
- Featured Session // UFC: Women Breaking Ground Inside the Octagon
Ronda Rousey (UFC), Dana White (UFC)
- The 12-Month Sports Season
Melissa Rosenthal Brenner (NBA), Sam Laird (Mashable), Greg Luckman (CAA Sports), Rudolf Vidal (FC Bayern Munich)
- Acing the Sports Game with the Oculus Rift
Jordi Bruin (Triple IT), Ruben Jongkind (AFC Ajax), Robert Overweg (Triple IT)
- The Athlete Slash Entrepreneur
Israel Idonije (Athlitacomics), Mike Kafka (Roo Outdoor), Linda Lacina (Entrepreneur Magazine)
- Athletes and Musicians Direct-to-Consumer Media
Steve Aoki (Steve Aoki), Oliver Luckett (TheAudience), Brodie Smith (Professional Athlete), Shaun White (Professional Athlete)
- Athletes are Suddenly Funny: The Power of Comedy & Sports
Patrick Starzan (Funny or Die), additional Panelists TBA
- The Basketball Tournament: A New Model for Sports?
Luke Bonner (GYK Antler), Gabe Feldman (Tulane University), Dan Friel (The Basketball Tournament)
- Battling Tradition to Re-Invent Youth Sports
Matt Farrell (USA Swimming), Kurt Kamperman (US Tennis Association), Jeff Price (PGA of America)
- Beyond the Bar Graph: Insights Over Info
Christopher Glode (Under Armour), Marybeth Thompson (MyFitnessPal)
- Bike Attraction: Urban Bicycling Gets a Makeover
Rebecca Gates (Musician/Cyclist), Susan Peithman-Criss (Transportation Research and Education Consortium), Tom Smuts (Mad Men), Kansas Waugh, (Bay Area Bike Share)
- The Business of Preparing Potential NFL Draftees
CJ Laboy (Relativity Sports), Andy Staples (Sports Illustrated), Jason Verrett (San Diego Chargers), Mark Verstegen (EXOS)
- Can MLB Data Solve Arm Injuries in Youth Pitchers?
Chris Marinak (Major League Baseball), Rick Riccobono (USA Baseball), Ted Sullivan (GameChanger)
- Can Sports Help End a Culture of Violence?
Ben Casselman (FiveThirtyEight), Jane Randel (NO MORE), additional Panelists TBA
- The Changing Face of Action Sports Media
Angel Collinson (Angel Collinson), Tana Hoffman (Teton Gravity Research), Todd Jones (Teton Gravity Research), Keith Sharman (CBS News)
- Coaching Fast and Fearlessly
Art Briles (Baylor University), Kevin Kelley (Pulaski Academy), George Schroeder (USA TODAY Sports)
- Competitive Advantage: Mental Health in Athletics
Patrick Baillie (Consultant), Doug Hankes (Auburn University), Carmen Tebbe (Oklahoma University), Mary Wilfert (NCAA)
- The Democratization of Sports Commentary
Eric Conrad (Univision Communications), Andre Pacheco (Second Mic), Mary Pilon (The New York Times), Ryan Spoon (ESPN)
- Does Playing Sports Equal Brain Damage?
Joanne Gerstner (Michigan State University), Jeffrey Kutcher (University of Michigan), Ben Utecht (Surrender the Game)
- Drones & the Texas 500: A Live Broadcast Challenge
Jaime Carlin (Texas Motor Speedway), Benjamin Martin (Arch Aerial), Michael Rocha (Panasonic)
- El Nuevo Latino: Fusing Cultures and Values
Aldo Kafie (Octagon Access), Galina Espinoza (Major League Soccer Digital), Gonzalo Perez (Motivo Insights), Marime Riancho (Pernod-Ricard)
- The Evolution of Audio in the 21st Century
Bonnie Bernstein (Campus Insiders), Traug Keller (ESPN), Colin Cowherd (ESPN), Stephen A. Smith (ESPN)
- Filmmaking Cues from Top Sports Cinematographers
Skip Clark (FOX Sports), Al Francesco (NFL Films), Brian Schulz (Major League Baseball Productions), John Tipton (HBO Sports)
- The Future of Doping and PEDs
Matt Futterman (Wall Street Journal), Jason Gay (Wall Street Journal), Edwin Moses (US Anti-Doping Agency)
- Gameday 2025: What's In Your Living Room?
Jeff Beckham (Jeff Beckham), Spencer Hall (Vox Media/SB Nation), Mark Kramer (Pac-12 Networks), William Mao (YouTube)
- How the Data Era Will Build High Performing Humans
Victor Cruz (New York Giants), Michael Gervais (Pinnacle Performance Center), Sarah Robb O'Hagan (Equinox), Haile Owusu (Mashable)
- The In-Stadium Fan Experience in MLS
Adrian Hanauer (Seattle Sounders), Robb Heineman (Sporting Kansas City), Merritt Paulson (Portland Timbers)
- Live Podcast // Grantland Sports Podcast
- Live Podcast // His & Hers Live
Jemele Hill (ESPN), Michael Smith (ESPN)
- Live Podcast // The Solid Verbal
Ty Hildenbrandt (Solid Verbal Media), Dan Rubenstein (Solid Verbal Media)
- Millennials & Sports: Reaching the Next Gen of Fans
Peter Kafka (All Things Digital), Perkins Miller (National Football League), Deion Sanders (NFL Network), Eric Weinberger (NFL Network)
- MLBAM & NASCAR: Sports and Technology Converge
Bob Bowman (MLB Advanced Media), Brent Dewar (NASCAR), Rachel Nichols (TNT/CNN)
- The Near-Future of Sports TV
Marie Donoghue (ESPN), John Ourand (Sports Business Journal), Dan Shanoff (USA TODAY Sports), Ron Wechsler (NBC Sports)
- The New Cathedral: Sports Stadiums
Brian Mirakian (Populous)
- Old Game, New Tricks: What's the Future of Golf?
Shane Bacon (Back9Network), Charlie Kautz (TaylorMade Golf Company), Andrew Kipper (Excel Sports Management), Ashley Mayo (Golf Digest)
- Out on the Field: LGBT Pro Athletes in 2015
Jason Collins (Former Professional Athlete), Mike Foss (USA TODAY Sports), Brittney Griner (Phoenix Mercury), Megan Rapinoe (Seattle Reign FC)
- Play Good, Look Good: Athletes and Fashion
Rembert Browne (Grantland), Mark Anthony Green (GQ Magazine), additional Panelists TBA
- Problem Solvers // Compensating College Athletes for Their Likeness
- Problem Solvers // Crowdfunding Competitive Athletes
Emily White (Dreamfuel)
- Problem Solvers // Tech Plus Youth Sports Equals Universal *Access
Tom Farrey (Aspen Institute Sports & Society Program), Risa Isard (The Aspen Institute)
- Punch Drunk: Hockey Fighting at a Crossroads
Greg Wyshynski (Yahoo Sports), additional Panelists TBA
- Science Over Tradition: The New Edge in Sports
Scott Goldman (Athletic Intelligence Measures), Gary McCoy (Catapult Sports), Lindsay Thornton (United State Olympic Committee), Leonard Zaichowsky (BIOCAM)
- Skateboarders and Marketers: The Dynamic Duo
Danny Way (Professional Skateboarder), additional Panelists TBA
- Social Media Playbook: Activating Fans on Gameday
Brian Cheek (Postano), Pat Donahue (Los Angeles Kings), Grace Hoy (Arizona State University), Meghan Ryan (Boston Red Sox)
- Sport For Development: Affective Societal Change
Joey Cheek (Former Olympic Athlete), Matt Geshcke (Laureus Sport for Good), Dave Mingey (GlideSlope), Paul Teeple (Partners of the Americas)
- Sports Mega-Events: Do They Have a Future?
Jules Boykoff (Pacific University), Ben Carrington (University of Texas), Piara Powar (FARE), Dave Zirin (The Nation)
- Start The Presses: The Rise of Indie Sports Mags
Christopher Isenberg (Victory Journal)
- Tech That's Changing Sports and Building Empathy
Derek Belch (Stanford University), Chris Kluwe (Professional Athlete)
Additional features and short films to be announced in early February, along with the complete SXSW Film lineup.
- SXsports Topgolf Challenge
Thursday, March 12, 7pm - 10pm @ Topgolf Austin (2700 Esperanza Crossing)
Additional registration required. Email email@example.com to purchase a ticket
- SXsports Kick-Off Reception presented by Octagon
Friday, March 13, 6:30pm - 8:30pm @ Half Step
(75 1/2 Rainey Street)
- SXsports App Track
Saturday, March 14, 4:00pm - 6:00pm @ Four Seasons Hotel
(Lower Level, 98 San Jacinto Blvd.)
- SXsports Fight Night presented by UFC
Saturday, March 14, 7:00pm - 11:00pm @ TBD Location
- SXsports Selection Sunday Party presented by Turner Sports
Sunday, March 15, 4:00pm - 6:00pm @ Champions Sports Bar and Restaurant
(300 East 4th Street)
- SXsports Overtime Party
Sunday, March 15, 9pm - 12am @ TBD Location
- MVPindex SXsports Lounge
Friday, March 13 - Sunday, March 15, 11am - 6pm on Fri, 9am - 6pm Sat & Sun
@ Four Seasons Hotel (Stone's Crossing Room, 98 San Jacinto Blvd.)
- NBC Sports SXsports Lounge
Friday, March 13 - Sunday, March 15, 11am - 6pm on Fri, 9am - 6pm Sat & Sun
@ Four Seasons Hotel (Lower Level, 98 San Jacinto Blvd.)
For more information about SXsports 2015, contact us.
Sessions from SXsports 2014:
Check out SXsports programming from the inaugural year here.
Turner Sports analyst Charles Barkley photo Courtesy of Turner Sports