GENERAL TERMS OF ACCOMMODATIONS FOR ATTENDEES WITH DISABILITIES
WHOLE CONFERENCE INFORMATION
Contact email@example.com as soon as possible with any questions or specific accommodation requests. During the conference, information is available at all Info Booths in the Austin Convention Center.
Service animals trained specifically to assist people with disabilities are welcome at all events. At all outdoor events where there are port-o-potties, accessible facilities will be provided.
The Conference does NOT provide:
- DEVICES that are personal or individually prescribed, such as wheelchairs, prescription eye glasses or hearing aids.
SERVICES of a personal nature, such as assistance in eating, toileting or dressing, or the pushing of wheelchairs.
Specific circumstances are detailed below.
PATRONS WHO ARE BLIND/VISION IMPAIRED
Patrons and presenters who are blind or have vision impairments should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to discuss reasonable accommodations. Volunteers will be available to read information to patrons requesting accommodation.
PATRONS WHO ARE DEAF AND HARD OF HEARING
Patrons and presenters who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing should contact email@example.com as soon as possible to discuss reasonable accommodations and to schedule interpreters for conference events, such as keynote presentations, panels, Accelerator and awards. SXSW has engaged the LotuSIGN agency to provide quality American Sign Language interpreters, as needed.
Deaf presenters will be provided interpreters for their own presentations, but accommodation at other Conference panels and events must be requested by all non-presenters.
At all conference events where there is seating, SXSW will establish accessible sections for the Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Seats will be reserved for any accommodated patron, plus one companion, but only until the event starts, after which unclaimed seating will be opened to the general audience.
SXSW does not provide interpreters to accompany individuals to trade shows, satellite events or parties, but LotuSIGN is offering to provide student interpreters at no cost to conference participants for such events. This free service is dependent on sufficient notice and is subject to availability. Requests for interpreting at these type of events should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Conference does NOT provide connections to sound boards.
The Film Festival Guide notes which movies are closed-captioned or subtitled, but the Conference does NOT provide interpreting during screening of movies.
The music festival at Auditorium Shores will be accessible, featuring the LotuSIGN performance interpreting team led by Barbie Parker, but the Conference does NOT provide interpreting at independent music venues.
PATRONS WHO ARE MOBILITY IMPAIRED
Patrons and presenters with mobility impairments should contact email@example.com as soon as possible to discuss and arrange accommodations.
Wheelchairs and 3- or 4-wheel electric scooters are allowed and are reasonably accommodated. Users of any other mobility devices should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Charging stations are provided throughout the Austin Convention Center; information on locations and specifications is provided at all Info Booths.
At all events where there is seating, accessible sections will be established for the mobility-impaired plus one companion. Seating for panels, keynote presentations, awards ceremonies and other popular events fills up quickly. Space for a wheelchair and one companion is on a first-come first-served basis and is not guaranteed.
The Conference does NOT provide push services for presenters or patrons.
Auditorium Shores is a large outdoor venue with natural terrain. Attendance may require covering large distances over grassy, uneven and sometimes muddy ground. The wheelchair platform is on the eastern side of the venue. The wheelchair seating area is available to patrons in wheelchairs plus one adult companion and children. Information is available on directional signs or from any volunteer.
SXSW is spread out all over downtown Austin. Traffic is often congested and parking can be scarce. Patrons should be prepared to cover long distances. Available transportation services include the following:
Shuttles that are wheelchair-accessible will be provided by TMS Shuttles, 844-903-8728. Companions wearing Plus-1 accessibility wristbands can accompany mobility-impaired patrons onto the shuttles. Information on shuttle stops is available from volunteers at Connection Centers in the Austin Convention Center, or from the SXSW Shuttles page.
The following shuttles will be in service during the Conferences:
- Film Venues – open to patrons with Platinum, Gold and Film badges.
- Interactive Venues – open to patrons with Interactive, Gold and Platinum.
- Festival Shuttles – open to all badged patrons.
- Hotel Shuttles – open to those who have purchased Hotel Shuttle wristbands.
Accessible taxis servicing locations not covered by free shuttles include:
- Yellow Cab: 512-452-9999 / Website
- Austin Cab Company: 512-478-2222
Public transportation information is available at: http://www.capmetro.org/accessibility/
Parking for wheelchair accessible vans is provided in the following locations:
- 5 ADA parking spots
- 500 E. 4th St., Austin, TX 78701. Entrance on Red River: 6 ADA parking spaces
- 201 East 2nd Street, entrance on Brazos: 19 ADA parking spaces
- Due to the age of the building (built prior to ADA Federal requirements), clearance throughout the structure is 6’9”
- 601 East 5th Street, entrance on 5th Street, between Red River and Sabine streets: 7 ADA parking spaces on the ground floor
- Upper levels: 10 ADA parking spaces with no more than 6’ 11” clearance
- 300 San Antonio St., Austin, TX 78701. 5 ADA parking spaces.
- Entrance on Nueces and San Antonio
- 400 W. Cesar Chavez St., entrance on San Antonio: 5 ADA parking spaces
- 200 E. Cesar Chavez St., entrance on Colorado: 5 ADA parking spaces
- Both parking garages are pay-to-park
- Self parking starts at 3pm & valet parking starts at 5pm
- 111 E Cesar Chaves St. Austin, TX 78701, 8 handicap parking spaces in the garage. Due to the age of the building (built prior to ADA Federal requirements) the clearance throughout the structure is 6’9”.
- 98 San Jacinto Blvd., Austin, TX 78701. 4 ADA spaces.
- 701 E. 11th St., Austin, TX 78701. 7 ADA spaces
- 700 San Jacinto, Austin, TX 78701. Entrance on E. 8th St., 3 ADA spaces
- 1000 E. 5th St., Austin, TX 78702. Entrance on San Marcos. 7 ADA spaces
Palmer Event Center - 900 Barton Springs Rd.
- 900 Barton Springs Road: ADA parking spaces are available on all levels, near the elevators